Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Seoul Searchin' - The Route to the Seoul

10:59 AM Terminal C, Gate 8, Dulles International Airport

Awaiting Departure
Here begins OBD’s Seoul search. The ride to the airport had its share of heart thumping moments (Is that traffic? How delayed will I be?) for a neurotic like myself. My driver was an amiable Afghani who had a few theories on life in his old country:

1) perhaps things were better under the Taliban – except for the whole ‘they’ll kill you if you aren’t completely religious’ thing
2 the U.S. isn’t really searching for Osama bin Laden. Aftter all, they can see a coffee cup from a satellite. Why can’t they find the guy.
3) Talking on the telephone to his family and friends in Afghanistan and Pakistan is probably inviting government scrutiny here in the U.S.
4)I shouldn’t worry so much about a little traffic. I’ll be fine.

He was right about some of those things.

11:06 AM
Now I sit in the departure lounge, eyeing my fellow travelers to guess which one I will be stuck next to for the fourteen hour flight. I pray it isn’t the woman with bags spread over five seats. Never a good sign.

I hope it isn’t any of the trio chatting away near me. There are a few places where I really discourage talking to strangers – when I am getting my haircut and when I am crammed into an airplane seat with no escape – are two of the more significant no talking rules. Feel free to chat in the library though, I rarely go there.



1:59 AM ET/2:59 PM Tokyo
14 hours of flying, five movies and an unidentified person who was the source of flatulence pretty much sums up my flight.



3:24 AM ET/4:24 PM Tokyo, Gate 35, Narita Airport

Having landed at Narita, I have a few hours to kill until leaving for South Korea. I had the obligatory plate of sushi, looked at the various vending machines and now sit awaiting my flight.

1 Comments:

Blogger mzn said...

I don't mind chitchat on a short flight. Might not want any on a long one. Looking forward to more blog.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home